The Myopia Society Japan recommends the following 7 habits to prevent the progression of myopia in children.
- Try to go outside at least 2 hours every day if possible.
Rose K, et al. Ophthalmology. 2008.
- Go outside as much as possible during recess at school.
Wu PC, et al. Ophthalmology. 2018.
- Read with a book positioned at least 30 cm away.
Saw SM, et al. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2002.
- Read while sitting up straight and using good posture.
Make sure that the book is straight in front of you and not leaning toward either the right or left side.
Zedan RH, et al. J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus. 2017.
- When reading, using a smart phone, playing video games, or doing other near work, take a 5-10 minute break every hour. Try looking out the window or going outside to take a break.
Uchino Y, et al. JAMA Ophthalmol 2014.
Yotsukura E, et al. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2019.
- Make a habit of going to bed and waking up early.
Nickla DL. Exp Eye Res. 2013.
- Visit your eye doctor regularly for checkups.
Tideman JW, et al. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2016.